Greetings and salutations!
If there’s an upside to quarantine, it’s the time to bake. Well, that and the excuse to stay up ’til midnight watching Doctor Who.
But back to the baking. These are really, really good cookies. When I started coming up with the recipe, I knew I wanted tart lemon cookies. It’s a pet peeve of mine when lemon cookies are super sweet and taste very vaguely of of what they’re supposed to be, like a sad Lemonhead, or the new Star Wars movies. My solution? Make butter cookie dough, and then add an entire lemon.
Luckily for me, it worked, and I ended up with the puckery lemon cookies of my dreams. Now because not everyone in my house is a sour fanatic like me, I filled them with white chocolate cream cheese frosting, meaning that after I had photographed them, these disappeared like any kind of good plot in the new Star Wars movies.
-1 stick butter, softened
-1/2 cup sugar
-1 small egg
-1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
-1/4 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp baking powder
-zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Cream butter and sugar together until fluffy, add in egg and lemon zest.
- Mix together flour, salt, and baking powder in a small bowl. Slowly add to wet ingredients, adding lemon juice so your mixer/mixing arm doesn’t kill you.
- Roll dough into a ball and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1-2 hours or freeze 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness, cut with cookie cutters.
- Bake 5-11 minutes, or until the bottoms are light brown and the centers are set. Let cool 10-15 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
-1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
-8 oz white chocolate chips
-8 oz cream cheese
-1 cup powdered sugar, plus extra
- In a small saucepan, heat cream, but do not boil. Add chocolate chips, stir until melted, then remove from heat.
- Beat cream cheese until soft, and add white chocolate mixture.
- Continue to beat while slowly adding powdered sugar until it reaches a frosting consistency.
- Pipe or spread frosting onto cooled cookies.
How are you guys holding up under quarantine? Got any good book/movie/TV show recommendations?